Basic All-Butter American Buttercream
- 452 grams unsalted butter room temperature
- 907 grams powdered sugar
- 75 grams heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Using a handheld or stand mixer with the paddle attachemt, beat butter until light and fluffy. About 2-4 minutes.
- Scrape down the bowl and add all of the powdered sugar.
- Mix on low until incorporated. Scrape down bowl.
- With mixer on medium low, add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add the heavy cream, and vanilla 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Turn mixer to medium-high and beat until fluffy. About 2-3 minutes.
- This is excellent on any cakes, cupcakes, or even used as a filling between cookies! This is also a great recipe for piping flowers or other décor.
- This is an all-butter buttercream so it won't do well if it's going to be sitting outside on a hot day. If you need a more heat stable recipe, you can replace half of the butter with shortening.
- This can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week, or frozen for up to 1 month.