M & M Cookie Sandwiches
- 2 sticks unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
For the M&M cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- With a handheld or stand mixer, beat butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. About 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl with the butter sugar mixture and add the egg and vanilla. Mix until combined and scrape down the bowl again.
- With the mixer on low, add the flour and mix until combined. Add the M&M's and mix just until they're distributed.
- Drop by tablespoon full onto prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until centers are set. They will look soft and will continue to cook after removed from the oven.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet after removing from the oven, then transfer to a cooling rack until your buttercream filling is made.
For the filling:
- With a handheld or stand mixer, cream the butter until light and fluffy. About 2 minutes.
- Scrape down the bowl and add the powdered sugar. Mix on low until combined.
- Scrape down the bowl. Turn the mixer on low, add the salt then the heavy cream 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Turn mixer on high and beat until fluffy. About 2-3 minutes.
Assembling the cookies:
- When the cookies have fully cooled, spread the buttercream on the underside of one cookie and then sandwich with another cookie.
- You can easily put the buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a large tip of your choice to dress these up!