Here’s a link to my YouTube video of me making royal icing and chocolate sugar cookies (Live Broadcast!). https://youtu.be/kH5ciAJALEo
Join our Facebook group! Ask questions, connect with other bakers (new & experienced), and have fun!
Perfect Customizable Royal Icing
- 907 grams powdered sugar
- 85 grams meringue powder
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 162 grams warm water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla (see notes below recipe for other flavor options)
- Add your vanilla (or other flavoring) to your warm water and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a hand mixer on low, mix your powdered sugar, meringue powder, and cream of tartar together.
- With your mixer on low, slowly pour your warm water with your flavoring into the dry ingredients.
- As soon as all of the ingredients are incorporated, scrape down the bottom and sides of your bowl.
- Turn your mixer to medium-high and beat until the royal icing is white and will hold a stiff peak when the paddle is removed. This won't take more than an a few minutes (2-4).
- This is a fairly thick consistency because that's how I prefer mine. Even when flooding my cookies, I use it thicker than most people. Remember, the thinner the royal icing is, the longer it will take to dry. You can very easily add small amounts of water to thin it out to your preferred consistency.
- To store, place into an airtight container. I also put a piece of plastic wrap onto the royal icing to keep it from forming a crust. I prefer to keep mine in the fridge for up to a month (although, it's usually gone within 2 weeks). You can also store this in the freezer for months! It can be stored in a container or piping bags as both ways work great!