Ultimate Customizable Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder (Optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter cool, not room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup golden brown sugar (lightly packed) light will work as well
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Watkins Baking Vanilla (If you're using other flavor extracts you may want to use a bit less- start with 1 teaspoon)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (I still use 2 cups when I'm substituting crushed cookies or other add-ins)
- 1 cup chopped nuts (Optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375F. Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Combine your flour, baking power, and cornstarch in a bowl and set aside. **If using cocoa powder, it can be added to your dry ingredients as pictured**
- Place your cool unsalted butter, both sugars, and salt into your stand mixer. With the paddle attachment, mix everything together on low until it's incorporated. We are NOT creaming everything together! If you've ever made any of my sugar cookies, we're starting these the same as those.
- Once it's all incorporated, add your eggs and your vanilla or other chosen extract. Mix until incorporated.
- This is what it will look like before you add your dry ingredients.
- Scrape down the bottom and sides of your mixer. Add your flour and baking soda mixture. Mix on low until the flour is almost incorporated. **I have cocoa powder in mine, but it's optional**
- This is what it will look like before you add your chocolate chips.
- Add your chocolate chips, crushed cookies, nuts, or crushed candies now and mix on low just until all the add-ins are mixed in.
- Scrape down the bottom and sides of your bowl just to make sure everything is incorporated.
- Using a small cookie scoop (about 1 1/2 tablespoons), scoop dough onto your cookie sheets and bake in your preheated oven for 6-8 minutes. If you like a crunchy edge with a soft middle, 8 minutes is just about perfect. If you want softness all the way around and no browning then stick with 6-7 minutes.
- Leave them on the pan for a few minutes (no more than 5) after removing from the oven and they will continue to bake a bit more.
- After a few minutes on the pan, move them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Small or crushed candies
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder for Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Other chips (white chocolate, toffee bits, milk chocolate, etc)
- Other crushed cookies (you could easily use any of the other flavors of Oreos, or other packaged cookies out there) More tips about using cookies below.
- You can use a mixture of things as well (i.e. chocolate chips, crushed cookies, and/or nuts) just don't let the combination be more than 3 cups in total.
- You can use other extracts that compliment your chosen candy or crushed cookie add-ins!
- The possibilities are endless!