Join our Facebook group! Ask questions, connect with other bakers (new & experienced), and have fun!
Ultimate Strawberry Cupcakes
For the filling:
- 1 pound organic strawberries frozen
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
For the cupcakes:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup granualted sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup strawberry filling
For the strawberry buttercream:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 2-4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup strawberry filling
Make the filling:
- Measure 1 pound of frozen strawberries into a bowl.
- Place 1 pound of frozen strawberries into a food processor and process until finely diced.
- Scoop the processed strawberries into a small saucepot and place on the stove on medium heat.
- Stir occasionally until the strawberries thaw and are easily stirred. Add the 3/4 cup of sugar and stir well.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and water. Add this mixture to the strawberries and sugar mixture.
- Stir occasionally until the mixture comes to a bubble. At this point it will be noticeably thicker. Once it's the consistency of jelly, remove from heat. It will thicken more as it cools.
- Pour into a separate bowl to cool.
Make the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and line a muffin pan with 16 liners or you can bake as a cake in two 6 inch cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, melt 1 stick of butter in the microwave.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, sour cream, vanilla, and 1/3 cup of the cooled strawberry filling.
- Add the 1/2 cup of sugar to the bowl with the melted butter and whisk. It will still be grainy.
- Add 1 egg and whisk again.
- Add 1/2 of the milk mixture and half of the flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Add the rest of the milk mixture and flour mixture and mix just until the big lumps are gone.
- Using a large cookie scoop or 1/4 cup measuring cup, fill the cupcake liners. I can get 15-16 cupcakes out of this batter.
- Place into the oven for 16-18 minutes or until they spring back when lightly touched. If baking as a cake, bake for 24-30 minutes or until they spring back when lightly touched in the middle.
- Place on a cooling rack when done.
Make the buttercream:
- With a handheld or stand mixer, cream the room temperature butter and salt until lighter in color. 2-3 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of heavy cream. Mix until well incorporated. About 2 minutes. Scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl.
- Add 1/3 cup of cooled strawberry filling. Mix well, until fluffy. About 2 minutes. Scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl. If you feel like the buttercream is too stiff, you can add up to 2 more tablespoons of heavy cream and mix again.
Assemble the cupcakes:
- Using a knife or large piping tip, scoop out a piece of the cupcakes. Make sure to not go all the way to the bottom of the cupcake. I press a large piping tip about halfway down into the center of the cupcake and remove.
- Save this piece to cover the filling.
- Place at least 1 teaspoon of filling into the empty cavity of the cupcakes.
- Push the reserved pieces of cupcakes that were scooped out, back onto the filling. It's ok if it's slightly messy as it will be covered with buttercream.
- Scoop or pipe as much of the strawberry buttercream onto the tops of the cupcakes as you'd like!
- This recipe will work baked as a cake in two six inch cake pans!